I am a trained and certified K-6th grade teacher currently working as a teacher-librarian at an international school in Tokyo. My “Clear Multiple Subject Teaching Credential” was earned through the California University system. I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Theater Arts from the University of Minnesota, and my Masters in Multi-Disciplinary Studies was earned through the State University of New York. I have taught a 5th grade class of 36 students, worked as a substitute teacher at the American School in Japan and before that, in the San Juan Unified School District in Sacramento, California. My interests and strengths include drama, puppetry, environmental education, technology in the classroom, languages and cross-cultural studies. I am a published author, (see Beloved of Beasts and kidsermons.com ). I have written children’s literature and poetry, and four books of children’s sermons which are used by pastors around the world. Inventing plays, songs and classroom games that entertain and teach makes working with children an enjoyable challenge. I speak French, some Japanese and Norwegian and have lived and worked in Paris, France and Sendai, Japan.
I believe that a child is a possibility. Every individual possesses gifts and talents of crucial value to the world. If those gifts are not uncovered and encouraged during a child’s elementary years, those possibilities can atrophy and be lost to the world forever. A teacher should be an enabling and inspiring force in a child’s life, helping that child to rise to her or his greatest potential.
Dec. 1 2012 – Published Princess Ramona, Beloved of Beasts; illustrated by Therese Larsson; sold through the iBookstore; www.belovedofbeasts.com
9/09 – Present
Librarian and circulation duties at the Christian Academy in Japan. Responsibilities include teaching library, reading and research skills to K – 5th grades.
Earned my Masters in Multi-Disciplinary Studies, having previously earned a Certificate of Educational Technology and Information Literacy through the State University of New York, Buffalo.
9/08 – 6/09
5th grade classroom teacher at the Christian Academy in Japan. Took the 36-member class on a three-day camping trip as part of the curriculum which included weather data collection, map skills, tool-making and nature observations.
9/07 – 6/08
Pre-K English teacher at the Lyceé Franco-Japonais de Tokyo. Taught the English component of the course; helped to design and implement new curriculum; directed class musical/dance presentation at the end-of-year festival.
9/06 – 6/07
- Substitute teaching and long-term sub at ASIJ; grades K-5 and Specials.
- Private English tutor for 2nd-5th grade students. Taught two six-week private drama sessions for 4th and 5th grade students, culminating with performances.
2/04 – 6/06
- Substitute teaching in the San Juan Unified School District; grades K – 6
- Ongoing puppet performances as Third Culture Puppeteers; Sacramento Salmon Festival; Lodi Crane Festival; Effie Yeaw Nature Center in Carmichael
- Interim Children’s Choir Director at the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Sacramento, CA
12/03 – 2/04
Substitute teaching at Birch Lane Elementary in the Davis Joint Unified School District in the 6th and 2nd grades. Long term substitute position in the 2nd grade.
8/02 – 12/03
Earned a Multiple-Subject Teacher Credential with CLAD certification at California State University, Sacramento.
9/99 – 7/02
Published four books of children’s sermons through Augsburg/Fortress, Publishers:
- Scolding the Snakes; Barefoot in the Snow; Saving the Ants; Sitting on the Rainbow
- Maintaining a website in connection with these books, that serves as a resource for pastors and educators; www.kidsermons.com
7/98 – 3/02
Worked part-time as Director of Children’s Ministries at the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Sacramento, CA
9/98 – 6/00
Religion teacher at St. Michael’s Day School in Sacramento, CA.
1/97 – 12/97
Part-time work for Justin Malan at EcoConsult in Carmichael
1/95 – 7/06
Moved to Carmichael, California
• Began puppeteering at Effie Yeaw Nature Center; conceived The Icki Lake Show
• Joined the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd; began giving children’s sermons
Graduated Summa Cum Laude from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor of Arts degree with Theater Major
9/88 – 1/89
Returned to the US, resumed studies at University of Minnesota
• Volunteer work at The Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theater in Mpls., Minnesota.
• Completed Honors requirements by writing, directing and touring area schools with original children’s play, The Rooster and The Ghost Cat.
Married Joel Ingulsrud and moved to Sendai, Japan
• Tutored English students privately; aged 4 to 82
• Taught drama to college students at the Sendai Student Center
Resumed studies at University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota
• Studied Linguistics and Theater Arts; specialized in Children’s Theater
Worked in Paris, France as an Au Pair
Hamline University, St. Paul, Minnesota
• Studied Psychology and Theater
7/82 – 8/82
Worked as Caretaker, Wrangler and Programs Director at Lee Valley Ranch in Custer, South Dakota under the direction of Pastor Dick Borrud
7/81 – 8/81
Worked as camp counselor for Jr. and Sr. High School youth attending Christian summer camp at Outlaw Ranch in Custer, South Dakota
Lutheran Bible Institute, Issaquah, WA
Graduated with honors with an Associate Degree in Biblical Studies
Actor and Script Writer for School Drama Ministries Team
Graduated Mounds View High School, New Brighton, MN